-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Funding Postgraduate Education for Disabled Students

Make a donation and support this factsheet

Disability Rights UK Factsheet F52

1 Introduction

A postgraduate course can be a Master's degree (MA, MSc, MEd, MPhil); a doctorate (PhD); a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE); or other postgraduate diplomas.

There are many reasons to choose postgraduate study. Some people really enjoy their subject and want to learn more about it. For others it’s about pursuing their chosen career, enhancing their job prospects or changing to a new vocational area.

The advantages of postgraduate study need to be weighed against practical considerations, especially cost. If you’re finding it hard to get a job after graduation, it’s tempting to stay on in education. However it’s important to research whether postgraduate study really will help you get the job you want. In some cases work experience may be a better way to get the skills you need.

Successful completion of a postgraduate course requires commitment and motivation so choosing the right course is essential.

As well as the issues faced by all postgraduates, you may also need to consider, for example, what facilities the college or university provides.

The Premia resource base contains a range of awareness and development materials for supervisors, careers advisers and students and gives an insight into the issues faced by disabled postgraduate research students. You can find the Premia materials and other resources and support for disabled researchers in the Every Researcher Counts pages of the vitae website at https://www.vitae.ac.uk/doing-research/every-researcher-counts-equality-and-diversity-in-researcher-careers.  

Getting money to do a postgraduate course can be hard and many people have to get funding from a number of different sources. You may need money for course fees, living costs and for extra costs related to your disability.

Students can apply for a postgraduate loan of up to £11,836 to study taught or research Masters degrees. A PhD loan of up to £27,892 is also available to students who wish to study a PhD or other doctoral degree.  See below for more information. The postgraduate and PhD loans have to be repaid once you’re earning a salary of £21,000 or above.

Extra financial support is available for people to train and work in certain professional shortage areas, for example students taking full-time PGCE courses (see section 6 for more details).

2 Choosing and applying for a postgraduate course

Choosing a course

When choosing which postgraduate course to apply for, you may find it useful to speak to a careers adviser. You can usually use the careers service where you studied for up to three years after graduation or you may be able to use the service at your nearest university.

Local authorities should provide careers advice up until the age of 25 if you have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan. Alternatively, adults aged 19 and over can get face-to-face guidance by calling 0800 100 900 to make an appointment with an adviser at their nearest National Careers Service Centre.

Careers advice is also available from Skills Development Scotland and Careers Wales.

Prospects has a graduate careers website which contains comprehensive information about postgraduate study, a database that allows you to search for courses and profiles of institutions offering postgraduate study. The web address is www.prospects.ac.uk.

There are a number of other searchable online databases of postgraduate courses including findamasters.com.

The Disability Rights UK Into Higher Education guide includes up-to-date information on the student support arrangements across the UK. It features case studies of students writing about their own experiences, giving an insight into what it is like to be a disabled student in higher education.

Applying for a course

In most cases you apply directly to the course provider through their online application system. Alternatively, you can download an application pack or request one by phone, and apply by posting it in. Check the closing dates, as they are different for each institution.

A small number of institutions will want you to apply using UCAS Postgraduate, a centralised application service run by UCAS.

Different rules apply if you’re applying for a postgraduate teacher training course, social work, nursing and medicine degrees or postgraduate law courses. See Section 6 for more details.

If the application form for the course doesn’t ask about your impairment you may wish to write to the institution to explain your needs and find out about what arrangements can be put in place.

Under the Equality Act 2010, all universities and colleges have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to their services, so disabled students are not placed at a substantial disadvantage. All institutions also have a student support or disability advice service so you should be able to discuss how your individual needs will be met.

3 Funding for disability-related costs

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is a grant to help meet disability-related costs incurred whilst studying. For example, you might have extra travel costs, or you might need specialist equipment or personal assistance such as a communication support worker or British sign language interpreter. A needs assessment will usually be required from an accredited assessment centre. Needs assessments can be paid for out of DSA.  However, DSA cannot pay for diagnostic assessments for specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

DSA can pay for course-related disability needs. Depending on where you are based in the UK, the amount of DSA you can get varies.

  • In England, there is a single allowance of up to £25,575 (excluding travel) available to postgraduate students studying on a full-time or part-time course during 2022/23 academic year. In the 2021/22 academic year, up to £25,000 (excluding travel) is available.
  • In Wales, there is a single allowance of up to £32,546 (excluding travel) available to postgraduate students studying on a full-time or part-time course during 2022/23 academic year. In the 2021/22 academic year, up to £31,831 (excluding travel) is available.
  • In Northern Ireland, there is a single allowance of up to £25,000 (excluding travel) available to postgraduate students studying on a full-time or part-time course during 2022/23 academic year.
  • In Scotland, there are three separate sub allowances which make up DSA. Full-time postgraduate students starting a course in 2021/22 receive a basic allowance of up to £1,725, a large items allowance of up to £5,160 and non-medical personal help allowance of up to £20,520. For part-time students, the allowance is pro-rata. Therefore, the maximum amount you are eligible to receive is based on the intensity of your study.

If you received DSA during your undergraduate course and begin postgraduate study straight after you graduate, your needs may not have changed. In this case, you may not need a new needs assessment. Any specialist equipment that has already been given to you may be taken into account. However, if it no longer meets your needs it can be upgraded or replaced.

Research degree study is different from undergraduate or taught Masters programmes and this means that your support requirements may also be different, e.g. you may be expected to attend conferences, to give presentations, have the opportunity to teach undergraduates. It’s good to look at the implications of this at an early stage.

Students doing more than one part-time course at the same time can only apply for one allowance. DSA is not means-tested.

Please note: Disabled Students’ Allowance cannot pay for fees or living costs.

You can receive DSA if your course is:

  • A designated course such as research and taught Master’s, doctorates, diplomas and certificates.
  • A course that would normally require a first degree or equivalent before entry.
  • A minimum of one year in length.

If your course is part-time, your pace of study needs to average at least 25% of the full-time equivalent in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. This means it should not take more than four times as long to complete as the full-time version. In Scotland, your pace of study needs to average at least 50% of the full-time equivalent.

In England applications should be made to Student Finance England.

In Wales you should apply to your Student Finance Wales.

In Northern Ireland, you should apply to Student Finance Northern Ireland.

In Scotland, unless you get your fees funded from a research council or the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC), you can apply for DSA from the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

If you receive a research council award, such as a studentship, you will be eligible for the DSA administered by your research council. They usually award DSA on the same basis as Student Finance companies and their DSA rates are similar. See section 8 on Research Council funding for more information.

For postgraduate teaching, law and social work courses, please see section 6 for more detail.

If you’re an Open University student in England, Wales or Northern Ireland you must be registered for an OU postgraduate level course that lasts for at least one year and does not take more than four times as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course. This will usually mean that the course amounts to at least 30 credit points each year. However, you may be able to study fewer points in some years as long as you make up the difference in other years.

In Scotland, your pace of study needs to average at least 50% of the full-time equivalent and you must not take more than twice the length of time of the standard full-time course to complete your studies. This will usually mean that the course amounts to at least 60 credit points each year.

If you’re an international student you need to be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years and meet other residency conditions before you’re eligible.

Further information on DSA is available in Disability Rights UK’s information factsheet Applying for Disabled Students' Allowance.

Further funding

If you’re not eligible for DSA or they don’t cover the full cost of your support, you may be able to get funding from the university’s hardship or discretionary fund or a charitable trust. See section 9 for more details.

4 Funding for postgraduate master’s degree courses

  • England

A postgraduate master’s loan of up to £11,836 is available to students starting taught or research master’s degree courses in 2022/23 academic year. You can use the loan for tuition fees, living costs and other study related expenses as you see fit. The loan isn’t means-tested and you can borrow regardless of your income or savings. You will not be able to apply for a postgraduate loan if you already hold a qualification at master’s level or above.

You can receive a loan to study a part-time master’s for up to four years. You must progress at 50% of the intensity of a full-time student. Payments are divided equally across your course.

You will make repayments on an income-contingent basis at 6% of earnings over £21,000.

In England apply to Student Finance England.

  • Scotland

Support is available for courses at postgraduate diploma and master’s degree level if you are resident and living in Scotland. There are two parts to the Scottish postgraduate funding: a tuition-fee loan of up to £5,500 is available for tuition fees and paid directly to your university and £4,500 is available for living costs. You will make repayments on an income-contingent basis, at 9% of income over £25,000 a year. In Scotland apply to Student Awards Agency Scotland.

  • Wales

In the 2021/22 academic year, up to £18,025 is available through a combination of a non-means-tested loan and a means-tested grant for taught and research master’s courses. You will make repayments on an income-contingent basis at 6% of earnings over £21,000. In Wales apply to Student Finance Wales.

  • Northern Ireland

A postgraduate tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 is available towards the cost of a master’s degree, postgraduate certificate or a postgraduate diploma. This is paid directly to your university or college. You will make repayments on an income-contingent basis, at 9% of income over £19,895 a year. In Northern Ireland apply to Student Finance Northern Ireland.

5 Funding for postgraduate doctoral degree courses

  • England

A postgraduate doctoral loan of up to £27,892 is available to students starting a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD, from 2022/23 academic year. You can use the loan for tuition fees, living costs and other study related expenses as you see fit. The loans are not means-tested, and you can borrow regardless of your income or savings. You will not be able to apply for a doctoral loan if you already hold a PhD or other doctorate.

 You will make repayments on an income-contingent basis at 6% of earnings over £21,000. In England apply to Student Finance England.

  • Wales

Welsh doctoral loans are similar to those offered in England. For 2022/23 you can apply for up to £27,892 for a postgraduate doctoral course. In Wales apply to Student Finance Wales. You will make repayments on an income-contingent basis at 6% of earnings over £21,000. In Wales apply to Student Finance Wales.

  • Scotland and Northern Ireland

Doctoral loans are not available in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

6 Postgraduate professional qualifications

6.1 Teaching

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

The PGCE course is the most popular route into teaching for graduates. A full-time PGCE course generally takes one year, although a flexible course can be shorter and is available for both primary and secondary teaching. To start a PGCE course, you must have a UK undergraduate degree or an equivalent qualification. For primary-level teaching, your degree can be in any subject, although you’re more likely to be accepted onto a course if your degree subject knowledge is in one of the subjects of the National Curriculum. For secondary-level teaching, your first degree must be related to the subject you wish to teach.

  • England

Institutions in England are allowed to charge up to £9,250 per year for full-time PGCE courses starting in 2022. The same general student support is available as for undergraduate courses. This includes tuition-fee loans and maintenance loans for living costs. Students starting postgraduate teacher training need to have at least a second class degree in order to receive funding.

Part-time study

Support with fees is also available to part-time PGCE students, as well as student loans for living costs.

Postgraduate bursaries and scholarships

Postgraduate teaching bursaries and scholarships are available if you train in certain subjects.  

Trainees in physics, mathematics, chemistry and computing are able to apply for a teacher training scholarship in place of a bursary with the appropriate professional body.

For eligibility details and further information contact the Get Into Teaching Line run by the Department for Education.

Tel: 0800 389 2500

Website: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Disabled Students’ Allowance 2022/23

PGCE students are eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) to cover the extra costs of studying due to disability. A single allowance of up to £25,575 per year is available in England. See section 3


You can apply for a postgraduate teacher training course through the Department for Education’s ‘Apply for teacher training’ service.

Website: www.gov.uk/apply-for-teacher-training  

  • Wales

If you live in Wales universities and colleges can charge up to £9,000 per year for their courses. If you’re studying a postgraduate Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course which leads to a qualification such as a PGCE you can get help with the costs of the teacher training. Postgraduate ITE courses attract funding in the same way as other undergraduate courses. This means that you will be able to apply for tuition fee and living costs support.  A new priority subject incentive scheme is also being launched for the 2022/23 academic year. Eligible students who undertake a ITE in a priority subject will be able to access this incentive.

  • Scotland

Scottish students taking Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programmes have their tuition fees paid in full by the Scottish Executive. You might also be eligible for a bursary if you undertake a PGDE in a priority subject. You can get more information about the priority subject areas from SAAS.

If you’re from England, Wales or Northern Ireland you will have to pay tuition fees of around £9,250. Other general student support is available, including student loans.

  • Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland, a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) attracts funding in the same way as other undergraduate courses. This means that you will be able to apply for tuition fee and living costs support If you live in Northern Ireland the maximum tuition fee for 2021/22 academic year is £4,630 (2022/2023 rate was still to be confirmed at the time of updating).

6.2 Law

Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE)

The Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) is a new system of exams that was introduced in September 2021. The SQE replaces the Legal Practice Course (LPC) route to qualification as a solicitor. If by 1 September 2021 you have not completed, started, accepted an offer of a place or paid a non-refundable deposit for a LPC then you will need to qualify through the SQE.

The total fee for SQE is £3,980 which covers the exams only. It does not include any preparation or training. There is currently no government funding for freestanding SQE preparation courses or assessments when sat independently. 

It’s worth making enquiries about scholarships and bursary opportunities with the provider of the SQE preparation course.

Some universities have incorporated preparation for part of the SQE assessment into their undergraduate or master’s law programmes which should attract funding from Student Finance England. However, the cost of the assessment fee is not included. The assessments will need to be taken independent from the course and will not be covered by student finance.

You can read about the various routes that attract funding for the SQE on the Law Society website: www.lawsociety.org.uk/en/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/solicitors-qualifying-examination-sqe/funding-the-sqe

Legal Practice Course (LPC)

Until 2021, the LPC was the mandatory vocational stage of training to be a solicitor. In September 2021, this was replaced by the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) and is now being phased out. The LPC will remain valid as a qualification until 2032 so LPC graduates will still be able to apply for trainee solicitor roles.  These arrangements apply to anyone who completed, started, accepted an offer of a place or paid a non-refundable deposit before 2021.

Bar Course

In September 2020 the way that barristers qualify in England and Wales changed with the introduction of new bar courses, replacing the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC). The new bar courses take one year to complete full-time or two years if you study part-time. Applications are made directly to the organisation delivering the course.  The cost of courses vary between what and where you study. Fees range between £12,00 and £18,500.

For further information see www.barstandardsboard.org.uk.

Scottish students wishing to become a solicitor should contact the Law Society of Scotland.

Tel: 0131 226 7411
Email: lawscot@lawscot.org.uk
Web: www.lawscot.org.uk


Financing the SQE and LPC can be expensive. General sources of funding include bank loan schemes, and charities or grant-making trusts.

The Law Society has a Diversity Access Scheme (DAS) that provides scholarships for the LPC and SQE assessments and preparation courses.  The DAS  aims to increase social diversity in the legal profession by supporting those from less advantaged backgrounds. Applications for 2022 are open from February 2022 to 20 April 2022.. Applications to the DAS must be made by completing an online application form.

If your bar course incorporates an LLM and results in a master’s qualification you could be entitled to a postgraduate loan.

Diversity Access Scheme

Email: diversityaccessscheme@lawsociety.org.uk

Web: www.lawsociety.org.uk/campaigns/diversity-access-scheme

Disabled Students' Allowance

DSA is available on designated GDL, LPC and bar courses at particular institutions. Students need to apply to their Student Finance company for this support.

In Scotland the Scottish Awards Agency for Scotland give awards for full-time vocational courses. Awards include Disabled Students’ Allowance. 

6.3 Social work

The professional qualifying training for social workers is a degree in social work approved by Social Work England  www.socialworkengland.org.uk. Students already with a first degree in another subject can enter a two-year programme offered by some universities and colleges.


You can apply for a master’s degree in social work through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) postgraduate application service UCAS Postgraduate. If they do not accept applications through this service, you will be able to apply directly to the university via an online applications system.


Web: www.ucas.ac.uk


  • England

In England the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) administers bursary for postgraduate social work students in England. This funding generally includes tuition fees, a non-means tested basic grant and a means-tested maintenance grant. DSA isalso available. You can find information on the postgraduate social work bursary here: www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/social-work-students/apply-postgraduate-bursary.

NHS Business Services Authority
Social Work Bursaries, P.O Box 141, Hesketh House, 200-220 Broadway, Fleetwood FY7 9AS

Web: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/student-services
Email: Complete an online enquiry form
Tel: 0300 330 1342

  • Wales

In Wales Social Care Wales administers bursaries for social work students who are ordinarily resident in Wales and study in Wales. You can find information on the social work bursary here: https://socialcare.wales/careers/social-work-bursary-funding.   

Social Care Wales

Social Care Wales, South Gate House, Wood Street, Cardiff, CF10

Web: www.socialcare.wales/careers/student-funding
Email: enquiries@socialcare.wales
Tel: 0300 30 33 444

  • Scotland

In Scotland, SAAS will pay the tuition fees for all eligible full-time Scottish and EU students on undergraduate social work courses.  For postgraduate students, the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) may award bursaries to full-time students, however these are limited and all applications are assessed against certain criteria.  Bursaries consist of tuition fees, maintenance grants, allowances and expenses.  Please contact the SSSC Bursaries team for further information at bursaries@sssc.com. The SSSC can also offer support towards disability-related costs. 

Scottish Social Services Council

Compass House, 11 Riverside Drive, Dundee DD1 4NY
Tel: 0345 60 30 891
Web www.sssc.uk.com

6.4 Medicine, Health and Biomedical Sciences:

If you’re already working in the NHS, yo0ur employer may sponsor you to study at postgraduate level. If you’re seconded by your employer you should apply to Student Finance England for your DSA, or the usual awarding authority in other areas of the UK.

If you get an NHS Bursary towards fees or living costs you should instead apply to NHS Student Bursaries directly for Disabled Students’ Allowance.

7 Regional funding

Some students may receive funding from their regional government.

Studying in Northern Ireland

The Department for the Economy also makes available funding to Queen’s University Belfast and the University of Ulster for research and certain approved courses of full-time study leading to higher degrees. The universities are responsible for administering the postgraduate awards scheme and the universities select, by competition, the students to fill these awards within the limits of the funding available.

Department for the Economy

Department for the Economy
Massey Avenue, Belfast BT4 2jp
Tel: (028) 9052 9900

Email: dfemail@economy-ni.gov.uk
Website: www.economy-ni.gov.uk

8. Research council and other public funding

You can get government-funded research grants, studentships or fellowships for some postgraduate courses, but it is mostly for postgraduate research. The awards mainly come from research councils that cover an area of study. For example, the Arts and Humanities Research Board oversees the humanities and certain other professional and vocational subjects. Most taught postgraduate courses do not attract research council funding. Universities and colleges will know if any of their courses attract bursaries. The research councils publish a list of the academic departments they have approved for funding each year, which you can find at your university or careers service.

Not all postgraduate courses attract studentships and not all students on those that do will be eligible to receive one. All research council awards are made through university departments, so apply through the department where you want to study. Only one research council (if any) will fund the course you’re interested in, so only apply to the relevant one. Research councils devolve most of the administration of their Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) direct to institutions and, unless otherwise indicated, your application should be made through your university. The university may be required to confirm that you have provided evidence of your disability, that an assessment of your needs has been carried out and that they are satisfied that any extra costs are essential to your study.

If you get a research council award for fees and/or maintenance costs, you can only receive funding for DSAs from that research council.

Research council details

The UK Research Councils include BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, MRC, NERC and STFC. The main website is www.ukri.org.

If you want to undertake postgraduate study at the European University Institute in Florence, you may be eligible for student support from the Department for Education.

The regulations providing such support are the Education (student support) (European University Institute) regulations 2010 and Amendments 2012 (S.I. 2010/447). For more information please visit


Other research funding and sources of information

The Guardian education supplement on Tuesdays and the Times Higher Education (THE) magazine both carry information on research positions and grants available.

9 Finding other sources of funding

If you’re not able to get a loan, bursary, scholarship or discretionary grant, you will need to investigate getting your own funding. Many students try to get funding or sponsorship through trusts or companies, although it is difficult to get full funding for fees, equipment, specialist support and everyday living costs. Often students have to get money from a variety of sources. College libraries and careers services keep copies of directories. The Prospects website has lots of information on funding options at www.prospects.ac.uk/postgraduate-study/funding-postgraduate-study.

Hardship/Discretionary funds

These schemes are broadly similar across the UK. Each institution administers the funds which are available to support students experiencing financial hardship. Priority is often given to part-time students, students with children, mature students, disabled students, final year students and care leavers over the age of 18 and homeless students. The amount you get is decided by the university or college. It can be paid as a non-repayable grant or as a loan which you have to repay. Contact student services at your university or college for details on how to apply.

Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTAs) and Graduate Research Assistantships (GRAs)

Postgraduate students may get a maintenance grant or a fee waiver in return for working for the university. Full-time postgraduates do an average of six to eight hours teaching a week. This can include classroom teaching, tutorials, laboratory demonstrations and paper marking. Working conditions and benefits vary from place to place. Most GTAs and GRAs are advertised internally, but some are advertised in the academic press.

Charitable trusts

Disability Rights UK produces a factsheet on funding from charitable trusts, including some trusts which can help disabled students doing postgraduate courses.

Welfare benefits

Most full-time students can’t claim welfare benefits. However, students who get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may be able to receive more support with living costs than other students. It is important to let the Benefits Agency, Jobcentre Plus and other relevant agencies know that you’re starting a course. This is a change in your circumstances, so you must tell them even if you believe it won’t affect your benefits.

For individual advice it’s best to speak with a welfare rights specialist in the student money advice team at your university or college or try your local Citizens Advice Bureau  www.citizensadvice.org.uk/getadvice.htm.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has replaced Disability Living Allowance for people between the ages of 16 and 64. PIP is a non-means tested benefit for people who need help taking part in everyday life or find it difficult to get around. It is always paid on top of other benefits. See our information on PIP.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit which has been rolled out across the UK to replace working age means-tested benefits.

Most full-time students are not able to claim Universal Credit, but there are exceptions. For example, you can claim Universal Credit if you have been assessed as having a limited capability for work before starting full-time study and receive PIP. See our section on universal credit and education.

If you have not been assessed as having a limited capability for work, the DWP will refuse your Universal Credit claim.

Higher education students eligible for UC will usually be placed in the ‘no work-related requirements’ group for the whole academic year.

Bank loans

You can ask banks for a loan for your course. They are more likely to fund you if the course will improve your earnings prospects, for example, a professional or vocational course. Certain banks will have specific professional studies loans for particular courses, such as, pharmacy, engineering or dentistry. Banks also often have graduate loans with better than usual interest rates.

Check the terms of the loan and compare what different banks offer. Look at:

  • the amount you can borrow
  • interest rates
  • arrangement fees if any
  • repayment deferring options – normally between three months and one year
  • qualifying conditions, like age or residency.

Think carefully before taking on extra debt as a graduate.

Employer sponsorship

Some employers will sponsor you to take postgraduate study. Usually they require you to work for them for a minimum length of time once you qualify. Sponsorship is more common for vocational and professional postgraduate qualifications. Speak to a careers adviser or try contacting employers in the industry you would like to work in to find out if they would sponsor you for your course.


Many postgraduate students supplement their income by working. Often there is work available at the institution where you’re studying, including teaching, supervising undergraduates, being a research assistant or working in the library. There may also be non-academic part-time or casual work in the area. Your students’ union may have details of local jobs. Alternatively look in the local press, the job centre or the careers service.

Part-time study

Many postgraduate courses can be taken part-time over two or three years (longer for PhDs). In fact, the majority of postgraduate students study part time. In this way students can support themselves financially with a job whilst studying. Some institutions will allow students to swap from full-time to part-time study once they have started the course. You can check with the institution whether you can study your course part-time.

10 Further information

Disability Rights UK Disabled Students Helpline

For further information on the support that is available for disabled students, please contact our Disabled Students Helpline - 0330 995 0414.

We also produce a range of education factsheets covering these subjects and frequently asked questions which you can access on our website at disabilityrightsuk.org. 

Into Higher Education

Into Higher Education includes up-to-date information on the student support arrangements across the UK. It features case studies of students writing about their own experiences, giving an insight into what it is like to be a disabled student in higher education.

Other useful information



Useful resources in their Special Interest Series include: About postgrad study, Your degree, what next? and Your Masters, what next?



GRANTfinder is a grants and policy database. It is a subscription-only service but you may find it available free in careers services, colleges and universities.

Useful Contacts

Association of MBAs

Tel: 020 7246 2686

Website: www.associationofmbas.com

Citizens Advice Bureau

To find your local Citizens Advice Bureau please visit www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Lead Scotland

Tel: 0131 228 9441
Textphone: (18001) 0131 228 9441
Helpline: 0800 999 2568

Email: enquiries@lead.org.uk
Website: www.lead.org.uk

Organisation enabling disabled adults and carers to access inclusive learning opportunities in Scotland. Lead also runs an information and advice service for disabled students in Scotland.

Open University

Tel: 0300 303 5303

Website: www.open.ac.uk

The Open University offers flexible part-time study, supported distance and open learning for undergraduate and postgraduate courses and qualifications.

UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)

UK Research and Innovation is a new body which works in partnership with universities, research organisations, businesses, charities, and government to create the best possible environment for research and innovation to flourishUKRI brings together the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK and a new organisation, Research England.

Current Research Council funded students should first contact the nominated studentship contact at their Higher Education institution.

For new enquiries about registration, submitting applications and grant maintenance requests, contact the Je-S helpdesk:

Email: JeSHelp@je-s.ukri.org

Tel: 01793 444164

Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)

Website:  www.ukri.org/councils/ahrc   

Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)

Website: www.ukri.org/councils/bbsrc  

Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)     

Website: www.ukri.org/councils/esrc  

Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)

Website: www.ukri.org/councils/epsrc  

Medical Research Council (MRC)                                 

Website: www.ukri.org/councils/mrc   

Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)      

Website:  www.ukri.org/councils/nerc  

Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

Website:  www.ukri.org/councils/stfc  


23 March 2022