-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Social care and personal budgets

Make a donation and support these Factsheets and Guides.

Need help? Call our Personal budgets helpline

Telephone: 0330 995 0404

Opening hours: 9.30am -1.30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Email: personalbudgets@disabilityrightsuk.org

Rightsnet socialcareinfo - find local & national social care resources, and independent advice agencies in your area


  • F58 - your guide to the care act: what you need to know about social care in england - word and pdf versions


In Control

Payment Cards in Adult Social Care Summary

Useful summary of an In Control report (DR UK are members). See also our Care Act Guide above.

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) factsheets

LITRG have produced nine factsheets that will help you understand your tax and national insurance responsibilities if you are taking on a personal assistant. These are:

  1. Taking on a personal assistant
  2. Tax employment status
  3. Registering as an employer
  4. Choosing a filing method
  5. Real Time Information (RTI)
  6. Paper filer employers
  7. 'Pay' for tax and NIC purposes
  8. Making payments
  9. Getting more help

LITRG have also produced an introductory guide "Taking on a personal assistant", which gives an overview of the things you need to think about if you are taking on a personal assistant.

You can download these at http://disabilitytaxguide.org.uk/about/resources

European Network for Independent Living (ENIL) Guide

ENIL's Independent Living Myth Buster deals with some of the most common misconceptions about disabled people, independent living and personal assistance.

Pensions regulator pension scam awareness guides

Download these if you employ a PA.

Tell us about your care

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) have recently launched their new ‘Tell Us About Your Care’ partnerships with a number of national charities, of which Disability Rights UK is one. This involves Disability Rights UK gathering feedback from disabled people about their experiences of using health and social care services. The CQC would welcome feedback on your experience of using any of the services they regulate. Please click here to do so.

You can check social care help in your area at http://socialcareinfo.net/