-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Disability living allowance

What is disability living allowance?

Your child can claim disability living allowance (DLA) if he or she is under 16, disabled and needs extra help to look after themselves or has difficulty walking or getting around. DLA is not means tested.

There are two components to DLA: the care component, which has three rates of payment and the mobility component, which has two rates of payment. Your child can be paid one or both components, depending on their needs.

Any savings your child has do not affect their DLA.

In Scotland, child disability payment is replacing DLA.

Does your child qualify for DLA?

How much is DLA?

How to claim DLA

Going into hospital

Where can I get more help or information?

What if I disagree with a disability living allowance decision?

Was this page useful? - Yes or No?

For further information on welfare rights, education issues and social care you will find our factsheets/guides here or for more detailed information you can order a copy of the Disability Rights Handbook from our shop