-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Pension credit and universal credit

Pension credit

If you are claiming as a couple and only one of you is over pension age (a ‘mixed-age couple’), you will have to claim universal credit instead until the younger partner also reaches pension age.

Before 15 May 2019, you could claim pension credit (and housing benefit towards your rent) if just one of you had reached pension age. If you qualified this way, you can continue to receive pension credit as long as you continue to meet the other qualifying conditions.

If you are claiming universal credit, there are no work-conditionality rules for the claimant who is over pension age. 

Was this page useful - Yes or No?