-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

How do I claim universal credit?

Universal credit

In some areas, universal credit is restricted to certain groups of claimants. Find out whether you can claim universal credit in your area. If you cannot claim universal credit, you will need to claim one of the older benefits instead.

You can claim Universal Credit online. If you have a partner (including a same-sex partner), you must normally make a ‘joint claim’ for universal credit.

If you need help, you can call the universal credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 (Textphone: 0800 328 1344).

Once you have made the claim, you will be asked to attend an interview at your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Was this page useful? - Yes or No?

Even if you are in a full universal credit area you can still claim contributory employment and support allowance and contribution-based jobseeker's allowance. You may be told you can't. Get help if this happens.