-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Council tax exemptions - discounts - reductions

Help with council tax

There are four ways you can get help. You can get help from 2,3 and 4 at the same time if you satisfy the rules for each of them.

  1. your home or property may be exempt from the council tax altogether
  2. you can get a discount
  3. you can pay less because you are disabled
  4. you can get a reduction if you are on a low income (or if you have someone living with you on a low income - this is known as a second adult rebate. The second adult rebate does not apply in Wales and some English councils)

You will usually get a letter or leaflet with your council tax bill, listing or explaining the help available.

Students do not normally have to pay council tax

If you go into hospital, check with your local council.

Was this page useful? - Yes or No?