-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Universal credit and disability: housing costs amount

Universal credit and disability

In calculating your housing costs amount, the DWP will use the size criteria, which focuses on the number of bedrooms your household is considered to need.

You are allowed an extra bedroom if you cannot reasonably share a bedroom with your partner because of disability, or if you have a child who is not reasonably able to share a bedroom because of their disability.

You are allowed one additional bedroom for a carer or carers to sleep in if someone in your household needs overnight care and gets a qualifying disability benefit.

If you are renting from the private sector, you will normally be considered to need only 1-bedroom shared accommodation if you are under 35 and live alone. This will not apply, however, if you get a qualifying disability benefit.

When your housing costs amount is worked out, a deduction is made for each non-dependant’ living in your home. A non-dependant is someone who normally lives in your home on a non-commercial basis. Typically, an adult son or daughter will be considered to be a non-dependant.

Such a deduction is not made if you or your partner are certified as severely sight impaired or blind by a consultant ophthalmologist or are getting a qualifying disability benefit. Nor is a deduction made if the non-dependant gets a qualifying disability benefit.

Was this page useful? - Yes or No?