Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Personal Independence Payment - Our free guide to making a claim
Disability Rights UK Factsheet F60
Personal independence payment (PIP) is a new benefit for people who need help taking part in everyday life or who find it difficult to get around. It replaces disability living allowance for people between the ages of 16 and 64 inclusive.
- Personal Independence Payment – A guide to making a claim (word format)
- Personal Independence Payment – A guide to making a claim (pdf format)
- PIP guide in easy read format
What the Guide contains
Disability Rights UK has produced this guide to help you through the claiming process. The guide covers information on:
- The PIP rules
- The scoring system
- The activities and descriptors
- Filling out the claim form
- Keeping a diary
- The face to face consultation with a healthcare professional
- What to do if you are not happy with your decision
- Further help and information
The guide is in word format and is free to download. An easy read version is available as a pdf.
A photocopied version of our Claiming PIP Guide is available for £4.00 including postage and packing.
If you would like to order a copy please ring 0207 250 8191.
Disability Rights Handbook
If you are providing advice on PIP our Disability Rights Handbook tells you all you need to know on this and other benefits.
To make a claim
Telephone 0800 917 2222
Textphone 0800 917 7777
Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Calls are free from UK landlines and from most mobile networks
A Welsh language option is available
Other PIP resources
You can see how much PIP pays on our benefit rates pages.
The DWP has published
- PIP quick guide for support organisations
- A PIP easy read guide
- Sample claim form for support organisations that work with people who may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment