Book your place on our Benefits Overview Course
Don’t know your ESA from your PIP? Confused by the range of benefits and tax credits?
How quickly they change, how they overlap and how disabled people can get extra help? This course gives a basic overview of the current system.
Our Benefits Overview Course is aimed at professionals who work in advice or advocacy who need to know more about - or need a refresher on - changes to welfare benefits and social security. It is interactive – with practical exercises and plenty of time for discussion – and is ideal for advice workers, social workers, support workers and anyone else supporting clients with social security benefits.
The course is not for individual claimants.
This course focuses on the main benefits for disabled people of 'working age' (16 to 64 years old). By the end of this course you will:
- understand how the benefits system is structured
- understand how the means-test works
- know the difference between contributory, non-contributory and means-tested benefits
- know which benefits can be claimed by disabled people and their carers
- understand how benefits interact and overlap and sometimes 'passport' a claimant to other benefits
- understand the assessment process for employment and support allowance and personal independence payment
- understand the "what, when and who?" of universal credit: which benefits it is replacing, when and for whom
- know how to make a claim for each of the benefits covered
- recognise the main welfare 'reforms': bedroom tax, benefit cap, etc
- Other benefits covered include: carer's allowance; income support and jobseeker's allowance; housing benefit and council tax support; child benefit, child tax credit and working tax credit.
This course focuses on benefits for disabled people of 'working age' including: income support, jobseeker's allowance, housing benefit; council tax support; employment and support allowance, personal independence payment, carer's allowance, universal credit; child benefit, child tax credit and working tax credit.
The cost of the full-day course is £99 +VAT per person. To register your interest in this or a future course, or to request further information, please contact Chelsey French at email@example.com
Feedback on our courses and workshops
"Independent Lives would like to say a huge thank you for being part of such a great day on Wednesday. We have had some great feedback from attendees so far, and the workshops were pitched just right. We also look forward to working with Disability Rights UK again in the future." Charlie Willis, Independent Lives
"Tutor was very good and gave us ample time to ask questions as we went along." Shelley Leckey, Team Leader, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
"Very good course - a good grounding and foundation. I feel more confident to support clients with completing forms and answering queries." Kathie Butcher, Gateopener, Mildenhall
"Your course on ESA was among one of the best I've been on, both in terms of information given and value for money." - Caroline Milne, Barons Court Project
“I think the course I attended was excellent and would definitely attend again.” - Gail Anderson, East Hampshire Advocacy Scheme