Links to government departments
For complaints about HM Revenue and Customs, National Insurance Contributions Office, Customs & Excise, the Valuation Office Agency and the Public Guardianship Office.
british and irish ombudsman association
The ombudsman undertakes independent investigations into complaints about government departments and other public bodies.
- directory of ombudsmen
- financial ombudsman
- local government ombudsman
- northern ireland ombudsman
- parliamentary and health service ombudsman
- pensions ombudsman
- public services ombudsman for wales
- scottish public services ombudsman
business services organisation
Responsible for the provision of support services of Health and Social Services in Northern Ireland.
care quality commission
Regulates health and adult social care services in England , whether they're provided by the NHS, local authorities, private companies or voluntary organisations. Also protects the rights of people detained under the Mental Health Act. Formerly the Healthcare Commission, Commission for Social Care Inspection and the Mental Health Act Commission.
corporate document services
Website for ordering government publications.
courts and tribunals service
Provides common administrative support to the courts and tribunals.
department for business, energy and industrial strategy
The department brings together responsibilities for business, industrial strategy, science, innovation, energy, and climate change.
department for communities and local government
Has information on housing and disabled facilities grants.
department for constitutional affairs
Formerly responsible in government for upholding justice, rights, democracy and the Human Rights Act. Site now maintained for archive purposes only.
department for education
The Department for Education is responsible for education, children’s services, higher and further education policy, apprenticeships and wider skills in England, and equalities.
department for social development (northern ireland)
Among other things, the department has strategic responsibility for social security benefits, pensions and child support. You can access the following from this site:
- law relating to social security - northern ireland (blue volumes)
- case law - northern ireland
- reported decisions - northern ireland
- advice for decision making
- agents, appointees attorneys and receivers guide
- archived publications
- budgeting loan guide
- claim forms
- code of appeals procedure
- consultation papers
- decision maker's guide
- discretionary housing payments
- dwp business plan 2011-2015 - includes monthly progress reports
- dwp medical (factual) reports - a guide to completion
- employing disabled people and people with health conditions
- esa medical reports - a guide to completion (esa 205)
- financial redress for maladministration guide
- fit for work guidance for employees
- fit for work guidance for employers
- fit for work guidance for GPs
- fit notes
- guide for registered medical practitioners - (IB)204
- GPs guide to the benefit system
- housing benefit guidance manuals
- housing benefit overpayments guide
- law relating to social security (the blue volumes)
- medical guidance for dla and aa decision makers (adult cases): staff guide
- medical guidance for dla decision makers (child cases): staff guide
- neligan's digest of commissioner's decisions (now archived - not updated since 2010)
- personal independence payment assessment guide for assessment providers
- personal independence payment handbook
- press releases
- reciprocal agreements
- recovery of benefits and or lump sum payments and nhs charges
- sanction policy: in respect of fraudulent social security benefit claims
- short term benefit advances for benefit processing and decision making teams
- statistics and research
- suspension and termination guide
- work capability assessment handbook - revised
- work programme provider guidance
- work programme universal credit provider guidance
- working with representatives guide
disability and carers service
Aims to help disabled people and carers to lead independent lives by administering and delivering, disability benefits, providing advice on benefits, and supporting the Government's commitment to increasing the inclusion of disabled people in society. Now part of the Pension, Disability and Carers Service.
Responsible for equalities legislation and policy in the UK.
equality and human rights commission
This website incorporates the Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) the Disability Rights Commission (DRC) and the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC).
Explains the new scheme which has replaced the welfare food scheme.
hm revenue and customs
Has information on child benefits, income tax and tax credits.
houses of parliament
For government bills and hansard.
independent case examiner
Deals with complaints about the Child Support Agency, Debt Management, Disability and Carers Service, the Financial Assistance Scheme, Jobcentre Plus, Child Maintenance and Enforcement Division ( Northern Ireland), the Northern Ireland Social Security Agency, the Pension Service and the Rent Service.
industrial injuries advisory council
An independent statutory body set up in 1946 to advise the Secretary of State on matters relating to the industrial injuries scheme.
institute of revenues rating and valuation (irrv)
Claims to be the largest professional institution operating in the field of revenues, benefits and valuation. Used to have a free resource of relevant acts, case law, circulars, guidance, regulations etc. but this is now subscription only.
You can find information about jobcentre plus services.
Information on the administration and regulation of the justice system in England and Wales can be found on this website. Provides information on how to appeal. Also has downloadable forms and internal guidance for tribunals.
land and property services
Responsible for the collection and recovery of rates in Northern Ireland on behalf of Central Government and the Province's 26 district councils as well as the management of the housing benefit scheme for those ratepayers who are owner-occupiers and the disabled person's allowance scheme.
ministry of justice
Responsible for policy on the overall criminal, civil, family and administrative justice system, including sentencing policy, as well as the courts, tribunals, legal aid and constitutional reform.
national audit office
The National Audit Office scrutinises public spending on behalf of Parliament. It is totally independent of Government.
Northern Ireland's version of Gov UK.
Website for 10 Downing Street. Has a section where government departments set out their business plans and timetables for achieving them.
office for disability issues
Aims to be the focal point within government to coordinate disability policy across all departments. Also aims to reach out to organisations and individuals at every step, and create and put into action plans to improve the lives of disabled people.
office of the public guardian
Responsible for providing services which promote the financial and social well being of people with mental incapacity. Publishes a booklet on enduring power of attorney.
office of public sector information
Provides online access to UK legislation (including hmso) licenses the re-use of Crown copyright material, manages the Information Fair Trader Scheme, maintains the Government’s Information Asset Register and provides advice and guidance on official publishing and Crown copyright.
office of tax simplification
The Office has been established to provide advice to the Chancellor on simplifying the UK tax system, with the objective of reducing compliance burdens on both businesses and individual taxpayers.
official documents website
Contains a selection of Government titles covering a very broad range of topics including the economy, work and welfare, health, transport and the environment. This includes Command Papers (sometimes known as White or Green Papers) and House of Commons Papers.
pensions at work
Aims to promote good practice in employer pension provision.
hm revenue and customs
Has information on tax credits.
Compiles and maintains the business rating and council tax valuation lists for Scotland. You can search your property valuation online.
social security advisory committee
Contains a description of the role of SSAC, details of the latest consultations and lists of past reports.
Part of the HM Revenue and Customs website. Has forms, leaflets, manuals and legislation online.
valuation office agency
Compiles and maintains the business rating and council tax valuation lists for England and Wales. You can search your property valuation online.
The website of the Service Personnel Veterans Agency, the agency responsible for administering war pensions and the war pensioner's welfare service.