-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Contributory ESA

Employment and support allowance

You need to have paid enough national insurance contributions in certain tax years to be entitled to contributory employment and support allowance (ESA) - the tax years depend on your claim date and are worked out for you when you claim.

Contributory ESA is a flat-rate benefit. It is not affected by any savings or other income you have, except for occupational or personal pensions. Unless you are put in the support group, payment of contributory ESA will be limited to 12 months

How much is Contributory ESA?

Was this page useful - Yes or No?

Even if you are in a full universal credit area you can still claim contributory employment and support allowance. You may be told you can't. Get help if this happens.