Our priorities for 2016-19
Subject to resources we will do the following work.
1. Independent living: getting a life - we will:
- create research led by disabled people
- enable thousands of individuals to share experiences backed by specialist information and advice
- showcase new independent living models, with other DPOs
- run campaigns to reverse institutionalisation and coercion, to secure finance needed for independent living and to achieve improved accessibility.
2. Career opportunities – getting work, education and skills - we will:
- enable thousands of people to share experiences backed by specialist information/advice
- showcase approaches to youth employment, peer support for skills and career development, working with other DPOs and partners
- run campaigns on youth employment, peer support for employment, and government enablers of education, skills and employment opportunities
3. Influencing public attitudes and behaviours: seeking a sea change in perceptions of disability and tackling hostility, bullying and hate crime - we will:
- do research led by disabled people into what will influence attitudes and behaviours
- develop a new narrative to replace ‘scrounger’ or ‘superhero’
- show how cultures can be changed in education and workplaces
- support a network of safe hate crime reporting centres